CEA’s primary focus is on improving code compliance for central air conditioning and heat pump systems. This important work will help California achieve its goals outlined in Senate Bill 1414, which calls for the California Energy Commission to implement plans to significantly improve installation compliance for these mechanical systems. Currently, many estimates show that code compliance among central air conditioning and heat pump systems is 20 percent of installation or less. CEA is actively working to change these statistics.
CEA is advocating for three important measures as part of its 2022 Energy Standards portfolio. Efforts are focused on:
1. Clarifying requirements pertaining to 3rd party quality control program HERS inspections to improve acceptance and adoption among California building departments.
2. Deploying a statewide, online permitting system for HVAC systems to reduce contractor permitting costs and increase code compliance.
3. Launching a California HVAC compressor equipment registration program to improve installation quality and energy savings.
To learn more about these measures, please download our 2022 Mechanical Measures synopsis, which includes a complete list of CEA’s current efforts related to mechanical systems.
Electrical Initiatives for 2022
CEA is working with manufacturers, contractors, commissioning providers, acceptance test technicians and others to deliver a suite of electrical measures for the 2022 Energy Standards that will deliver energy savings, reduce costs and move California closer to its ZNE goals.
CEA priorities for the 2022 Energy Standards include:
1. Addressing automatic plug load controls for certain alterations projects.
2. Simplifying the lighting controls requirements for new construction and alterations required to comply with Section 130.1 of the Energy Standards,
3. Improving Demand Response requirements to ensure more lighting systems are installed as ADR-ready,
4. Investigating the potential for performance-based, post-occupancy energy use as an overarching metric of compliance,